Sunday, September 19, 2010

Bottles

Like everything else for baby, there are many choices in the bottle arena. Many people talk about Dr. Browns bottles, how they are great for gas and just all around wonderful bottles. Personally, I don't get it. There are 5 parts to each bottle: nipple, lid, bottle itself and a two piece vent system. You need a special little brush to clean the vent system. Also milk gets inside the inner tube and if you don't open the bottle to drain the milk, it leaks. I have tried several Dr. Browns including the 4oz, 9oz tall and 8oz wide. They all have the same problems. Why did I keep buying, you ask? Well, the 4's are a waste of money in my opinion. Yes, when the baby was little he only needed 4oz at a time, but that stage passed after a few months and now the 4oz-ers are packed away. There is no reason why you can't buy the bigger sizes and just fill them half way. Incidentally my nanny does not like the Dr. Browns either. She has been a nanny for over 30 years so she knows her stuff.

The other bottle I use is Born Free. I like it a lot better, the leaking problem is not there. It too has 5 parts to clean but the flat vent system is very easy to deal with both washing by hand and in the dishwasher. No special tools needed.

At this point in the game, with the baby approaching 8 months, I won't be trying anything new in the bottle arena. I do recommend stocking up on bottles so that you are not washing them constantly, and again, avoid the smaller sizes. They are a waste of money.

Of course don't make the same mistake I did (see previous post on things I've learned along the way). Buy some dishwasher baskets as soon as possible and throw all bottle parts right in there on the sterilize cycle! It's 2010 people!

No comments:

Post a Comment