Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Things That May Not Suck But I Wouldn't Recommend

I have also come across several products that aren't exactly awful, but are either not very good or a waste of money.

Mom 2 Mom products at Safeway:
I received a package of diapers and a box of wipes from this brand for my baby shower. At first I thought they were from some mom's club but it turns out they are Safeway brand. The diapers are purple, so they aren't very unisex. Also they are really stiff and it's hard to tell when there is pee in them. The worst thing is that they leaked numerous times, once memorably all over my cousin, who questioned my diapering technique in front of many relatives. I haven't had any leaking problems with Pampers Swaddlers. The quality of the wipes is pretty good and they are nice and big. However the lid on the box broke almost immediately and I had to transfer the wipes to a box from another brand.

Baby nail clippers
It's very hard to cut tiny baby nails with clippers. I use sharp manicure scissors, while he was sleeping, and have had no problems. Many of my friends tell horror stories about the clippers, involving loss of skin and lots of blood :(

Breast Pumps
The Medela Pump in Style Advanced backpack runs about 280.00. The Pump in Style Advanced in the metro bag runs about 330.00. For $50.00 you basically get two upgrades: the soft cups (breast shields) that go on your breasts and a carrier that can be used as a diaper bag. I went with the backpack. I thought the metro bag was too big and ugly to be used as a diaper bag and just bought the soft breast shields separately. I am sorry I bothered. In my experience the hard breast shields work much better. The soft ones fold up and pinch the breast on the sides. They are also harder to clean and stick to the breast more. On another note, I found a lot of Medela breast pumps on sale used on craigs list. I should mention here for propriety's sake that a Medea sales representative told me that it is not safe to purchase a used breast pump because it's possible that breast milk can get into the pump mechanism and germs/ diseases can be passed on to future users. This prevented me from buying the pump used. However, now that I have one I cannot see how cross contamination can occur, since breast milk doesn't come near the actual pump mechanism and all other parts can be purchased new (and cheap). Just food for thought.

Clean Well Hand Sanitizer
I am always looking for green and natural products to use for the baby and around the house. I wanted an alternative to Purell to keep around the house and in my diaper bag. I bought a whole bunch of this stuff because it comes in multiples on amazon. To my taste, it smells just awful. It has this weird, piney odor that stays on your hands for hours after. I returned all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment