Wednesday, January 5, 2011

More lentils!

The latest baby news is, he doesn't like mushy food anymore. This is problematic on a few levels, one being that lots of very healthy foods, like lentils and hummus, are mushy, and two... well, he has six teeth at best (two being just barely through). Laying in bed last night I started thinking about meatballs. I previously created a little recipe with organic turkey, potato and spinach, turned into meatballs that could be frozen, cooked in a sauce, etc. and easily broken up to pieces that he can grab, but since the ingredients were mushed up before cooking, also easily gummed. It occurred to me that I could do a lot more with a meatloaf, which would also be easier than rolling a whole bunch of meatballs. Another downside to the meatballs is that they are very easy to overcook. So, today I managed to whip up the meatloaf while the boy took a blessedly long nap. I wanted to use ingredients that I already had in the house because I'm on a freezer clearing mission.

I used-
1 organic russet potato and 1 small sweet potato- chopped and boiled until soft
1/2 cup of organic red lentils, cooked
about 3/4 cup of frozen organic spinach, defrosted
2 organic turkey burger patties, raw
about a tablespoon of olive oil

I mashed the potatoes, mixed in the rest of the ingredients except for the olive oil, formed it into the loaf and brushed the top with the oil. I baked it at 350 until it was firm but not dry, about 30 minutes or so.

He ate two slices! And I was able to freeze half, because it made plenty. The best thing is it's a "one pot meal", which means I don't have to run around thinking of components to make him a balanced meal. He ate the two slices and some pear chunks, and that was dinner for my almost one year old baby love bug.

Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment